Nintendo held a Nintendo Direct this past Wednesday, and had a
lot ton of new details on upcoming Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games. They also included details on the ever-so-popular Amiibo figures including some new ones that are going to be available. If you missed it, you’ve come to the right place. Here are some details from the show:
- There is a new Amiibo on the way in the form of yarn. Yes that’s right, I said yarn. The Yarn Yoshi amiibo figures will launch later this year during the fall with the release of Yoshi’s Woolly World. Using the Yarn Yoshi amiibo will make another Yoshi appear within the game to help assist co-operatively while you play! This amiibo is available in three different colors: green, pink, and blue.
- Splatoon is on the horizon and is going to be in the amiibo mix as well! The game will be launching on May 29th and will include Amiibo’s for Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, and the Inkling Squid. Using these amiibos, players will be able to play missions, weapons, and gear that previously wasn’t available in the game.
- The next wave of Super Smash Brothers amiibo are on the way. On May 29th, the next set will include Charizard, Pac-Man, Wario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Robin, Lucina, and Ness. Later on in July Dark Pit will be arriving along Palutena. And finally in September, Zero Suit Samus, Gannon, Olimar, Dr Mario, and Bowser Jr will join the Smash amiibo party. These amiibos have been among the most popular so be sure to pick them up once they’re released as they may not be on the market for long and become rare very quickly.
- If you are a nostalgic gamer like I am, you will appreciate that amiibos will also give you the opportunity to play some of Nintendo’s Greatest Bits (pun intended I think) allowing gamers to play highlights from select NES and Super NES games just by tapping their amiibos on the Wii U Gamepad!
- If you don’t like the amiibo toys, not to worry as amiibo cards are on the way later this fall. The first wave of cards on the way will be based on Animal Crossing characters and will of course be compatible with Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer game.
- One of the most anticipated games for Nintendo this year has to be Mario Maker. If you haven’t heard about this game yet, I think you are in for a treat. You are the level designer, are you are creating your own Super Mario Brothers 2D level. Each level can be designed based upon the original Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Brothers. Mario Maker looks like it will surely be a hit amongst fans and the game will be out this September just in time for the 30th anniversary of the original Super Mario Brothers game.
- Nintendo is bringing 200cc to Mario Kart. Faster than 150cc and requiring you to actually use your brake *GASP* you will actually need to use some skill along with luck when playing this game. The update will be available for free starting on April 23rd alongside some new DLC that is featuring new characters, vehicles, and courses.
- How long have you been waiting to have Nintendo 64 and Nintendo DS games on the Wii U Virtual Console? Well you won’t have to wait any longer because they are now available! Starting with Yoshi’s Island DS and Super Mario 64. What is great about playing the DS games is that the TV and gamepad will provide options for dual screen layouts. Nintendo 64 fans who loved the rumble pack will feel the force feedback on the Wii U gamepad as well.
- As I mentioned earlier, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer is well on the way giving gamers the opportunity to focus on their decorating and home-designing skills within Animal Crossing. You’ll have opportunities to design housing for animals within the game by furnishing and decorating. The game will be available this fall.
- Fans of the Fire Emblem series get ready. Because for the first time ever, a main character is a customizable avitar AND the main hero or heroine of the game. You choose one of two paths resulting in difference game experiences. The Hoshido for more traditional and the Nohr making the story more complex and a more challenging difficulty level as well. The new Fire Emblem game does not have a title yet, but the game will be available sometime next year.
- Have you caught ’em all yet? If you have, don’t worry because Pokémon Rumble World will keep you busy for awhile. The game will be free to download with paid content and will feature more than 700 pocket monsters at your disposal taking it old school from the Red and Blue era all the way up to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Look to continue battling when the game launches exclusively on the eShop on April 8th.
- Puzzle and Dragons Z + Puzzle and Dragons Super Mario Brothers Edition – two games in one that’s right! This game will launch next month on May 22nd and you’ll get a chance to check out a free demo as well on the eShop starting on April 30th.
Nintendo announced A LOT more during the Nintendo Direct today, but these were the main highlights. If you want to see the full show, check it out below after the jump. And for more on Nintendo, keep it locked right here on Mammoth Gamers. #GeekBIG