With the next entry in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, set to launch in a matter of weeks Ubisoft has said that they will not launch a new title in 2019, instead focusing on supporting the upcoming game.
Speaking to GameSpot at Gamescom, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot confirmed, “we are not going to have a full-fledged Assassin’s next year.”
Since the series debuted in 2007, there have been only two other years without a mainline title, 2008 and 2016. Even so, Ubisoft released spin-off titles to fill the gap.
When asked if there would be a smaller entry to appease fans, Guillemot said that there would not be. Instead, Guillemot highlighted that the team is working on Odyssey and want to bring new content for players to experience “for a couple of years.” He also said that giving the team more time with Origins last year was worth it.
While Guillemot did not give any hints about the post-launch plans, but last year’s Origins had extra DLC launch up until March of this year. Ubisoft brought additional story content, items, weapons, and raised the level cap. The company also released the Discovery Tour mode for free, giving players the ability to tour Ancient Egypt without distractions and combat.
Guillemot did not say if another mainline Assassin’s Creed will launch in 2020.
We thought Ubisoft did the smart thing by giving Assassin’s Creed an extra year. We gave Origins a score of 9 when it launched. Check out our full thoughts here.
While fans will have to wait a little longer to bring Odyssey home, Ubisoft has launched a new gameplay trailer. Focusing on Kassandra, you can watch the trailer below.
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey launches on October 5 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. For more on the anticipated title, stay tuned to Mammoth Gamers.