After weeks of speculation, Blizzard has finally announced a new Overwatch hero: Brigitte Lindholm. The seventh support character to join the ranks since launch, Brigitte is the youngest daughter of Torbjörn and looks to her godfather Reinhardt as a mentor and teacher. Similarities between Reinhardt and Brigitte are immediately apparent with their lion motif armor and affinity for hammers.
According to her lore, she squired with Reinhardt where she was responsible for the upkeep of his armor. After realizing that her hammer could only fix so much damage, Brigitte was inspired to join Reinhardt on the battlefield as a healer and support him in any way she can.
According to Blizzard, her abilities will be as follows:
- Barrier Shield: A frontal energy barrier that can absorb damage and protect teammates.
- Shield Bash: This allows Brigitte to lunge forward and stun the first enemy in her path.
- Repair Packs: These tools can heal allies or add armor if teammates are already healed.
- Rally: Her ultimate ability increases her movement speed while providing armor to nearby allies.
- Inspire: Her passive ability, which is triggered by blows to enemies, heals nearby allies.
While it’s hard to say how any new Overwatch hero will be used this soon after release, Brigitte sounds like a unique combination of a tank and a support. She’s currently available on the Overwatch Public Test Region and it will be interesting to see if her introduction changes the dynamics of the game.
Blizzard released several teaser tweets earlier this week hinting at Brigitte’s arrival. However, players have been calling for her introduction to the game for months now. After the release of the “Honor and Glory” animated short, Brigitte instantly became a fan favorite so it’s great to see that a large publisher such as Blizzard is listening to their fans.
Have you tried out Brigitte on the PTR yet? Let us know your first impressions in the comments.